What started as a treat around the holidays, has become something we like to have around for a quick snack. The smokey flavour is a nice addition to these smokey spiced almonds. As someone who doesn’t go far without a snack, I really like having these on hand.
How to make Smokey Spiced Almonds
The process of making these almonds is very simple and quick with only a limited number of steps.
- Foam Egg Whites – with the egg white in a medium to large bowl, whisk until it foams.
- Add Sugar and Spices – to the same bowl add the sugar and spices and mix to incorporate.
- Coat Almonds – add the almonds to the bowl and mix to coat the almonds evenly.
- Spread – on a parchment covered baking sheet spread the almonds evenly.
- Bake – bake for 20 minutes at 300 F, then reduce the temperature to 275 F and bake for another 40 minutes.
The smokiness in the almonds comes from the addition of smoked kosher salt and liquid smoke, if you don’t have them the almonds will still be delicious. I have found that 600 grams of almonds results in a good level of coating, but this is something that you can adjust. The limitation with scaling the recipe is based on the egg white.
I hope you give this recipe a try and add this recipe to your pantry staples. This is one of my go-to recipes that I have on repeat and always come back to. Enjoy!
Smokey Spiced Almonds
- 1 large egg white
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt (smoked preferred)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 5 dashes hot sauce
- 10 dashes liquid smoke
- ¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 600 grams raw almonds
- Preheat oven to 300F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add a large egg white to a large bowl and whisk until foamy.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the almonds and whisk to combine. Once combined add the almonds and mix to coat evenly.
- Spread the coated almonds evenly in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 300 F, then reduce temperature to 275 F and bake for another 40 minutes. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.