Homemade meatballs are a simple recipe that can have lots of versatility. They make a great weeknight meal when you are short on time and take minimal ingredients.
Included below is a basic homemade meatball recipe that is a great starting point for incorporating additional seasoning and flavour. It comes together quickly and allows you time while it bakes to prepare the rest of your meal. Meatballs seem to make their way onto our menu weekly in some form.
How to make Homemade Meatballs
- Combine the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. This is a great opportunity to mix in some extra seasoning depending on what your final dish will be. No fancy tools are needed here, using your hands to ensure that it is well mixed is often best.
- Form the mixture into approximately two tablespoon balls and space them evenly on your baking sheet. Again, the best tool for the job is just using your hands. If you find that the mixture is sticking a lot, lightly coating your hands with water can help.
- Put the meatballs into a 425 degree oven and bake for 16 minutes.
There are many variations and additions that can be made to the meatballs to transform them into entirely different meals. Here are a few of the ways I like to upgrade this basic meatball recipe, that I hope you enjoy.
- Classic Meatballs with spaghetti or meatball subs, served with tomato sauce.
- Add some dried basil and oregano
- Vietnamese Inspired served with rice and pickled vegetables.
- Add 1 tbsp fish sauce and brown sugar
- Thai Curry with sauce, served with rice.
- Add 1 tbsp Thai curry paste, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 2 green onions finely diced
- 1 pound Ground Meat (beef, pork, turkey, venison)
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs or panko
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
- Form into approximately 2 tablespoon balls and place them evenly on the baking sheet. Lightly wetting your hands will help to reduce the mixture sticking to your hands.
- Bake for 16 minutes.