This homemade croutons recipe is quick and easy to make and is great to have on hand for when you get that craving for caesar salad. It is also a wonderful way to use up any leftover bits of bread around the kitchen. This has become a common occurrence around my kitchen given the amount of sourdough that is made.
Homemade croutons are a pantry staple around our house, they are a great addition to a salad in need of some help. They are always an addition to our ceasar salad for Friday pizza night.
Often when a fresh loaf of bread is made, I will cut up the last bit of the old loaf for croutons. If I don’t have time to make them right then, the cubes can also be kept in the freezer until you have some time or have saved enough to make a batch.
How to make croutons
- Cut your bread into cubes. I prefer that they be approximately 3/4″, but this can be adjusted based on your preference.
- Drizzle with olive oil and seasoning. With the bread cubes in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat the cubes.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet. Spread the cubes evenly in a single layer. For easy clean up I recommend using parchment paper or a teflon baking sheet.
- Bake! Bake the croutons until golden brown. You’ll learn over time how crispy you prefer them and can adjust the bake time accordingly
- Enjoy in your favourite salad or store in your pantry.
I hope this homemade croutons recipe becomes a staple in your kitchen as it has in mine. It’s a grocery store item that is easy to replace with simple ingredients found around your kitchen.
If you are in need of a great creamy caesar dressing recipe that is a bit of a twist on the classic, I highly recommend Venison for Dinner’s recipe. It’s a great use for these homemade croutons.
- 2 cups bread, cut into 1/2 to 3/4" cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, drizzle the olive oil over the cubes of bread. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper, then toss to cover evenly.
- Spread the bread cubes out in a single layer on your parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before adding to your favourite salad or storing in an airtight container.
Great tip for Caesar salad lovers!