Asparagus is one of those things that I really only eat when it is locally in season, this guarantees the best product. To ensure that I don’t get sick of eating asparagus, I’ve come up with a few recipes to enjoy in the spring. One of these recipes is this grilled asparagus and potatoes with kalamata olives and a balsamic dressing.
The recipe can easily be scaled based on the crowd you are feeding or the ingredients you have on hand.
Dice your potatoes into bite size pieces, you can use regular or new potatoes for this recipe. Also, cut the asparagus into 1-2″ pieces, so they are ready for the grill. I recommend cutting the asparagus on an angle for some added interest. With storebought asparagus, you will want to snap or cut the bottom inch or two off the spear to ensure that it’s not woody, with homegrown asparagus, this doesn’t need to be done. Aim for spears that are similar in diameter so they cook in a similar amount of time.
When preheating your grill you want to be sure that you have the grill basket preheating as well. This helps to sear the potatoes when they are added to the grill. First, add your potatoes to the grill and let them cook for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next, add the asparagus and cook for approximately 5 minutes more until the asparagus turns bright green.
Remove the potatoes and asparagus from the grill and add them to the remaining ingredients, tossing to combine. This dish can be served hot right from the grill or allowed to cool and served as a salad. It also keeps well for to go lunch.
I hope you enjoy this grilled asparagus and potatoes recipe. If you are interested in learning to grow your own asparagus, check out my previous post all about growing asparagus.
Grilled Balsamic Asparagus and Potatoes
- Grill Basket
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 6 to 8 asparagus spears, cut into 1-2" pieces
- 2 tbsp sliced kalamata olives
- 1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat grill to approximately 400 to 450°F
- Toss diced potatoes in ½ tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes to the preheated grill basket. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until edges, are beginning to crisp up.
- Toss asparagus in the remaining ½ tbsp of olive oil and add to the grill basket. Cook for about 5 minutes more until asparagus is bright green and cooked.
- Transfer potatoes to a bowl and combine with the remaining ingredients (olives, capers, chives, balsamic vinegar).